Doing everything possible to succeed: A guide to branding software in 2021
February 2, 2021|
8 min. read
Many sports require the players to wear some type of gear to maximize performance.
When it comes to branding, finding the right branding software is like an athlete wearing gear that perfectly fits.
In this article, I’ll give a basic breakdown of branding software, explain why it’s important, then walk you through a few of the different types available.
At the end of the day, the last thing you want to happen is for your brand to suffer from wearing the wrong type of gear.
What is branding?
Branding is how marketers work to promote a brand using all types of different elements like logos, layouts, color schemes and values. It is ultimately how a brand is able to demonstrate that they’re the correct choice for customers, especially compared to the competition.
“Brand is just a perception, and perception will match reality over time.” – Elon Musk
Effective branding allows for benefits such as stronger brand personas, efficient marketing campaigns, pricing leverages and more.
Naturally, it makes sense to supplement your branding efforts with some type of software system. Let’s break down what this entails, beginning with a quick rundown of branding software itself.
What is branding software?
Branding software is a supplemental tool designed to uphold company-wide branding guidelines. It maintains relevancy by keeping content up to date with the most current images, logos, documents and other branding elements. An effective branding software system ensures each marketing campaign has the correct branding items at all times.
Think of branding software as a way to maximize all branding efforts – a helpful, effective supplemental tool.
It also furthers brand consistency by maintaining standards for each department that utilizes branded materials.
Let’s now dig deeper into why it’s so important to use branding software tools.
The importance of branding software
Similar to the above example, an athlete needs to supplement his or herself with the right gear in order to succeed. Branding is no different.
Committing to something new is easy if you have good reason to do so. What then, are our reasons for implementing a branding software?
Here are some key benefits, but keep in mind that they don’t always apply to each system.
- Automates processes. It can be devastating to a workflow if too much time is spent manually completing tedious tasks. Many systems do it automatically.
- Keeps materials brand-relevant. A marketing campaign with outdated branding materials is the one thing you want to avoid. The right software tool keeps everything on-point.
- Connects team members. Things like live document collaboration are the potential keys to a successful team project.
- Simplifies brand maintenance. The right software system brings everything into focus and ensures that maintaining a brand is easy.
It’s pretty apparent that branding software has many purposes and picking the right one can lead to greater success. Let’s go through the three different options to choose from.
Three dynamic branding software options you need to know about
The following three systems are valuable in their own specific way, offering unique answers to potential problems in the branding process.
1. Digital asset management systems
Digital asset management (DAM) is a branding software solution that fulfills the many needs of enterprises through modern technology.
Here’s a breakdown of what DAM is all about.
What is digital asset management?
Digital asset management is a comprehensive, enterprise-based system that organizes digital assets in a central location for fast and easy retrieval.
Its many features allow users to save time finding branded images throughout projects and campaigns. Things like versioning and advanced user roles keep DAM at the forefront of branding solutions.
Is a DAM system right for you?
As you further your branding journey, the amount of accumulated branded assets is bound to increase. When your specific needs go beyond basic storage, DAM seems to be the right choice.
When you consider that it integrates with marketing tools like WordPress and InDesign (among others) and was created specifically to be a business-based branding solution, it becomes clear that DAM is ideal for users with advanced storage needs.
Some key benefits
So what kind of ways does DAM stand out as a branding software system? Here are a few:
- Powerful metadata management. DAM automates the entire tagging process for images, making it much easier to find any digital file based on numerous keyword searches.
- Advanced security. Because DAM is designed for business-use, it is more advanced in the security department, ensuring sensitive files stay safe.
- Useful integrations. The best DAM systems sync well with your currently-used programs, making it easier to finish projects that require both tools.
- Central storage. One of the most convenient parts of the DAM is the centralized storage, which gives users a place to find important files without searching extensively.
Due to the fact that over 50% of marketing teams have cluttered, inefficient storage, it becomes clear how drastic a DAM could help.
Next, let’s take a look at the type of branding solution you might consider when you need to manage marketing resources.
2. Marketing resource management
Marketing resource management software is designed to improve marketing and branding efforts by making each step in the process more efficient. Let’s go over each aspect of this branding software tool.
What is marketing resource management?
Marketing resource management handles branding and marketing activities through extensive, effective coordination of team members. When you think of the many elements within each marketer’s digital arsenal, it becomes clear that some type of digital automation is important.
Think of resource management as a solution that allows brands to further boost and maximize their marketing campaigns and communication.
Is a marketing resource management system right for you?
First, it should be noted that marketing resource management systems are complex and require advanced administration and/or IT support.
If the name wasn’t evident enough, marketing teams are the biggest benefactors of this type of system. Usually, those who require high amounts of communication benefit most.
The reality is, without a complete system to automate and manage processes surrounding marketing materials, marketers won’t succeed.
In what way can this type of software system help you? Here are some important benefits:
- Analyzes and measures marketing efficiency. It’s important to get data and insight on how effective a marketing campaign is. Resource management tools automate this process.
- Organizes department teams for campaigns. It’s not always easy to put together the optimal team for certain projects, that’s why this software is so valuable.
- Boosts creativity. Many of the potential restrictions to creative output are diminished with the right software systems, and this is no exception.
3. Cloud file storage solutions
Cloud file storage is a way to organize branded materials without overwhelming physical drive space. As a branding solution, it enhances the organization and storing of relevant items.
Here is a complete rundown of everything this solution has to offer.
What is cloud file storage?
Cloud file storage is an organizational management system that operates remotely, holding large quantities of data and files. It has become the standard for most marketing teams looking to keep files safe without immense storage space requirements.
Because of its distant center, it saves companies precious hard drive space. Cloud file storage digitally sorts information, files and important data, all while being maintained independently by cloud storage companies.
Is a cloud file storage system right for you?
One thing to consider, when discovering potential software tools to implement, is your personal branding needs.
For example, do you end up working with high quantities of branded materials for each new project? Are you swamped with numerous image, audio and video files? If so, the space-saving benefits alone might make a cloud system right for you.
The need for digital storage is definitely growing, but companies aren’t keeping up as of yet. Roughly 85% of business data is unorganized, an unacceptable amount.
In terms of functionality, the ideal system allows for better searching of stored files within its database. This makes for quicker uploading and downloading of branded files for marketing campaigns.
The following benefits give off the idea of what to expect from this type of solution:
- Enhanced security features. Branded materials hold extra value, and should be held to a higher security standard when stored. The power of cloud systems is they’re on the cutting edge of new security features.
- Increased physical space. As I mentioned above, cloud storage is located remotely, which improves the function of in-house storage (since it has more space to use).
- Bolstered collaboration. Though not specifically suited for collaboration, these systems do offer some potential for it. This is because they often have spaces where users can share files and interact with them live.
Example software system(s) to consider
Not all solutions are created equal, and some will fit your needs better than others. Make sure to do some extensive research on your own. That being said, here are some options.
The most popular cloud file storage system at the moment is Dropbox. It’s an efficient tool that covers a wide range of functions. Some other popular systems include Google Drive and Box, which have their own unique features.
Though Dropbox is the most popular, it doesn’t necessarily fit everyone’s requirements. Make sure to check out some Dropbox alternatives if that’s the case for you.
Ultimately, cloud file storage keeps files safe and saves space, all while upholding brand.
Getting started with branding software
Your key focus should always be about finding the right supplemental tools designed to optimize all your branding efforts.
Once you’ve discovered the system that fits you best, there really is no limit to success.
Learn more about branding with our comprehensive branding guide.